Metro Life Flight
Metro Life Flight is a not-for-profit, CAMTS-accredited, air and ground critical care transport service. Since its inception in 1982, our priorities have always been to provide the highest level of care to those in need while implementing the highest safety standards in the industry.
With three helicopters, two critical care ground ambulances, and one ALS ambulance based throughout the region, Metro Life Flight is readily accessible to the communities we serve throughout Northern Ohio. We work closely with our pre-hospital partners and referring hospitals and strive to provide ease of access through our auto-launch and auto-accept programs.
How Metro Life Flight is Different...
- Two instrument rated pilots onboard each flight in order to maximize safety and enhance the ability to fly in adverse weather conditions
- Helicopters are equipped with dual-engines, instrument flight (IFR) capability, GPS approaches into local hospitals, autopilot, night vision goggles, terrain awareness warning system, cockpit voice and data recorders, satellite tracking and on-board weather radar
Our Medical Team
- Helicopters staffed with flight physicians, acute care nurse practitioners and flight nurses
- Critical care ground ambulances staffed with nurses and critical care paramedics
- ALS ambulances staffed with two paramedics
- Air and ground critical care teams carry emergency blood products (liquid plasma AND packed red blood cells) on every mission which reduces bleeding and can significantly improve outcomes for critical patients
- Lifesaving procedures such as rapid sequence intubation, surgical cricothyroidotomy, chest tube insertion and pericardiocentesis
- Utilization of portable ultrasound to assess patients and guide their care
Our Communications Center
- Located on-site at MetroHealth Medical Center
- Staffed with communication specialists who live locally and are knowledgeable about the region
- Not-for-profit organization that offers a higher level of service for a significantly lower cost than other air medical programs
- Patients benefit from MetroHealth’s pre-negotiated rates with medical insurance companies, and discounts are offered to uninsured patients based on family income and the county in which they reside
- Patients are only charged out of pocket up to their co-pay or deductible
Metro Life Flight – The Difference is Critical