Expert Ear, Nose and Throat Care in Northeast Ohio
Medical and surgical expertise from our caring team of providers in the treatment of ear, nose, & throat disorders and common head & neck issues.
To schedule an appointment, call 216-778-5791.
Message from David W. Stepnick, MD
A warm welcome to the MetroHealth Medical Center Department of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery website. Our group of exceptionally talented physicians, advanced practice providers, and audiologists are here to serve our patients with expertise, skill, and compassion.
As an affiliate of Case Western Reserve University, the physicians of the Department all have faculty appointments and are involved not only in patient care, but keep current and up-to-date as teachers and researchers. As with other exceptional academic Departments, these three components are part of our fundamental mission: patient care, research and teaching. Of course, out mission mirrors that of the MetroHealth System: “Leading the way to a healthier you and a healthier community through service, teaching, discovery and teamwork.”
Metro’s values are generally what draws many employees including physicians and advanced practice providers to Metro, and these values are embodied by all of us here in the Department: Service to Others, Teamwork, Accountability, Respect, Inclusion & Diversity, and Quest for Excellence.
Our providers include our Advanced Practice Providers, Kara Dawson, PA-C, Elizabeth “Jane” Goodrich, PA-C, and Jessica Kurtz, CNP as well as one of our physicians, Robert “Bob” Stegmoyer, MD, whose skills broadly span the various components of the ear, nose, and throat specialty.
In addition, there are five fellowship-trained physicians to provide you the expert care our patients deserve. These include:
- David Ludlow, MD whose specialties include microvascular free tissue transfer, head and neck cancer care including surgery, robotic surgery, and sialoendoscopy – using tiny fiberoptic scopes and instruments to manage salivary (spit) gland issues in a new and modern way.
- Freedom Johnson, MD also is an expert in microvascular free tissue transfer and head and neck cancer surgery, as well as facial trauma and pediatric airway.
- Mark Weidenbecher, MD is a recognized expert in the surgical management of obstructive sleep apnea including the hypoglossal stimulator (Inspire®), and evaluation and treatment of voice and swallowing disorders.
- Steven Houser, MD cares for patients with sinus problems and is the only provider in the area who does allergy treatment with drops of allergen extract under the tongue instead of shots. He has an international reputation for treating patients with “Empty Nose Syndrome.”
- David Stepnick, MD, FACS. In addition to my responsibilities as Chair, my own background is in Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, and I continue to see patients roughly 50% of the time.
Three other physicians are part of our staff, each bringing their own experience and expertise, but practice part-time: Harvey Tucker, MD, Madeleine Lenox, MD, and Michael Broniatowski, MD. Last, but certainly not least, are our very strong group of audiology colleagues that have a tremendous wealth of experience and expertise and are integral members of the Department.
While major surgical procedures need to be done at the main campus, our providers see patients at various satellites to help bring care closer to our patients’ homes. These sites are Parma, Lyndhurst, Crocker Park (Westlake), and Brecksville.
I am honored to serve this great Department as Chair and we all look forward to providing you exceptional care.
David Stepnick, MD, FACS
Professor & Chair, Department of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery
Case Western Reserve University / MetroHealth
Executive Director, Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery
Director, Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
MetroHealth Medical System
Click here for a complete list of our providers.