MetroHealth's Cardiac Rehabilitation Team
Our physicians, therapists and nurses in the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program specialize in this type of care. We have registered nurses and exercise physiologists who are certified by the AACVPR, and our cardiologists are board-certified.
Referrals from your doctor enable us to match you with the right specialist. To schedule an appointment call 216-778-BEAT (2328). For pediatric appointments call 216-778-2222.
Cardiac Rehabilitation Treatment
We combine focused heart disease education with targeted exercise to help you boost your health and confidence. It’s an ideal solution for people who are recovering from a serious cardiac event or for people with heart disease who want to avoid a major cardiac problem. Our program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) and follows the cutting-edge guidelines in our field.
We help people who have:
- Stable angina
- Coronary artery disease
- Heart failure
- Heart attack
We also help people recovering from cardiac surgeries, including:
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG)
- Coronary stents
- Heart valve repair or replacement
- Heart or heart-lung transplants
Evaluation, Therapy and Monitoring
The Heart & Vascular Center's Cardiac Rehabilitation Program has two phases:
- Inpatient Evaluation: involves a review of your chart and counseling about your condition. Our experienced cardiac rehab staff visits you in the hospital after your cardiac event, provides going-home instructions and discusses how you can benefit from cardiac rehab. If you're discharged before we have a chance to stop by, we'll call you at home to introduce the program.
- Outpatient Program: provides personalized action plan that touches on many parts of your life, including physical activity, nutrition, stress management, smoking cessation and social support. We also help you learn to monitor and control cardiac risk factors, including high blood pressure, high cholesterol or high blood sugar.
Our Cardiac Rehabilitation Program is staffed by highly motivated exercise physiologists, registered nurses and dietitians who work closely with your cardiologist to identify and treat coronary risk factors. A welcome result of cardiac rehab is improved communication. The program opens the lines of communication and keeps your doctor and other health care providers in the know. The program makes it easier to keep track of your progress following a cardiac event. Many of the people we work with enjoy a greater sense of well-being and self-confidence.
Our Cardiac Rehab Education Program covers topics such as:
- Heart attack warning signs
- Heart failure
- Risk factors for coronary artery disease
- Living wills and advanced directives
- Dietary guidelines
- Smoking cessation
- Blood pressure control
- Lipid management
- Weight management
- Home exercise
- Reading food labels
- Diabetes and heart disease
- Stress, depression and heart disease
- Stretching guidelines
- Intimacy and coronary artery disease
Referrals from your doctor enable us to match you with the right specialist. To schedule an appointment call 216-778-BEAT (2328).