At MetroHealth, we offer advanced screening tools, and our multidisciplinary team has the innovation and expertise to fight breast cancer as effectively as possible. We're here to support every woman. Our community programs offer free screening, education and support for uninsured or underinsured women.
Advanced Breast Cancer Screening Options
MetroHealth is designated as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology's Commission on Quality and Safety and the Commission on Breast Imaging, and offers screenings in five convenient locations. Our advanced technology is designed to detect breast cancer as early as possible:
- 3-D mammography (tomosynthesis)
- diagnostic ultrasounds
- automated breast ultrasounds (ABUS)
If your screening is abnormal, we use the most innovative tools to find out exactly what's going on, including stereotactic core biopsy and ultrasound- and MRI-guided core biopsy. For example, if your tumor is tiny, we use radiofrequency seed placement to make the it easier for your surgeon to find during your biopsy.
Recognizing Breast Cancer Symptoms
The best way to catch breast cancer early is through a mammogram. A mammogram can catch abnormal tissue you might not be able to see or feel, and it might spot tumors that aren't big enough to cause you pain.
Still, watching for signs of breast cancer is important so that you can get help if you need it. You should perform a monthly breast self-exam to feel for lumps or bumps. You should also watch for other symptoms, including:
- Swelling of all or part of the breast
- Irritated or dimpled skin
- Breast or nipple pain
- A nipple that’s turned inward
- Redness, scaliness, or thickening of the nipple or breast skin
- Nipple discharge other than breast milk
- A lump in the underarm area
Call your doctor if you find anything unusual. If you're not sure how to do a breast self-exam, ask your MetroHealth doctor. We'll help you understand how to perform these tests quickly and accurately.
Community Breast Care
If you're uninsured or underinsured, our community outreach program can help you get the breast health care that you need. Our BREAST (Bringing Education, Advocacy and Support Together) Program offers:
- Free mobile clinical breast exams in the community
- Free mobile mammograms in the community and mammograms at MetroHealth Medical Center
- Free or reduced-cost follow-up care at MetroHealth Medical Center
- Free breast cancer education
- Free patient navigation
- Bilingual Breast Screenings and Health Fairs at community centers, churches and other locations in Cleveland
BREAST program services are available to low-income women over age 35 who live in Cuyahoga County and haven't had a mammogram in at least a year. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call 216-778-8557.