MetroHealth Pediatric Wellness Center
At MetroHealth Pediatric Wellness Center, we're spreading the message that healthy living can be fun. By encouraging children and adolescents to eat right and be active now, they can take steps to reach or maintain a healthy weight and lower their risk for chronic conditions. Most importantly, they can begin building a foundation of healthy habits for adulthood.
Our free drop-in space is available for children, teens and families. Visit us anytime, or stop by when you have a doctor's appointment. We're open Monday through Friday. Find us in the Women & Children's Pavilion at MetroHealth Medical Center, First Floor, Room 1050 (near the pharmacy).
For more information about the Pediatric Wellness Center, call 216-778-5224.
In-Person Summer Camp
June 7– August 6, 2021 (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
- Ages 8 to 11: 9:00 – 11:00 am
- Ages 12 to 18: 1:00 – 3:00 pm
Camp hours have been shortened this year to allow for additional cleaning.
Free drop-in summer camp offers nutrition classes, gardening, cooking, fitness classes, yoga, and health-related games and activities.
This summer, the Cleveland Crunch will be in attendance every Tuesday and Thursday from June 14 to July 29.
Stop by the wellness center to fill out a consent form. Located at MetroHealth’s Main Campus in the Women and Children’s Pavilion.
Masks will be required while indoors.
Have fun and enjoy getting active and learning about nutrition!
Virtual Summer Camp Videos
Watch videos on how to make summer recipes and exercises to do at home.
Teaching Kids About Healthy Living
Whether it's trying a new vegetable from our garden, competing in obstacle courses, or dancing to the beat in a Zumba class, we've got fun, feel-good activities for everyone. Our health and wellness classes are available for children ages 5 to 18 and their families—and we offer both after-school programs and summer wellness camps.
Kids, teens and their parents can get involved with:
- Healthy eating and nutrition. Learn how to make healthy choices at the grocery store and how to keep portions under control. Find out how to make healthy snacks, or grow your own snacks in a garden. Or, teens can take hands-on cooking classes and get great tips for the whole family. To learn more about the Pediatric Weight Management and Wellness Program – or to make an appointment – call 216-778-5210.
- Fitness. We offer running clubs, Zumba classes, weight training, circuit training, game days, field days and more to get kids moving in a fun and active way.
- Healthy parenting. Find out how to make healthy meals for kids without breaking the family budget and learn just what children need to eat as they grow. Or, take home a few healthy shopping tips you can use to make better choices at the store.
Real Wellness, Real Results
We teach children, teens and families about healthy eating and active living using guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics. These guidelines encourage families to:
- Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Limit recreational screen time to 2 hours or less.
- Be active for at least 1 hour a day.
- Drink more water and skip sugary drinks.
We've helped hundreds of children reach healthy weight goals by making better food choices and becoming more active. In fact, 98 percent of families who visit us say they're more aware of the importance of healthy eating and exercise. And 100 percent say they'd tell their friends to come by.
Experienced, Dedicated Experts
Our pediatricians, dietitians and dietetic technicians, registered nurse care coordinators, pediatric behavioral health specialists and fitness instructors are passionate about helping children and adolescents learn how to make healthier choices. And we can help kids who might need a little extra support.
The Aamoth Family Pediatric Wellness Center is part of the Pediatric Weight Management and Wellness Program. This clinical, by-appointment program helps children achieve a healthy weight by screening for obesity-related medical problems, including:
- High blood pressure and high cholesterol
- Diabetes and pre-diabetes
- Asthma and sleep apnea
- Fatty liver disease and other gastrointestinal diseases
- Behavior and mental health problems
Whether or not your child has a weight concern, participation in the programs offered at the Pediatric Wellness Center – along with the evaluation and coaching our multidisciplinary team can provide – can help teach your family how to reduce the risk of chronic illness later in life.