Most women experience menopause anywhere from 45 to 54 years old.
Menopause is normal, and each woman’s menopause experience is different. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle during this time of transition is essential for your health and can even prevent or lessen the impact.
The main reason for menopausal symptoms is the reduction or fluctuation of estrogen production in the ovaries. Primary things to be aware of:
- Hot flashes, night sweats and trouble sleeping.
- Fatigue, vaginal dryness, heart palpitations and mood changes.
- Loss of estrogen is associated with an increased risk for heart disease, Alzheimer’s and osteoporosis.
- Symptoms can last 4 to 10 years, (15% of women have lifelong symptoms).
- Menopause does impact the body from head to toe regardless of how bad the symptoms.
We’re Here for You
MetroHealth OB-GYNs are here to help you through your menopause journey. MetroHealth also has a dedicated Menopause Clinic. The Menopause Clinic has a specialized team of clinicians who can help women manage symptoms by building individualized, comprehensive care plans based on each person’s needs and goals.
The Menopause Clinic team includes:
- Family Medicine – evaluates the interaction of menopause and other medical conditions
- Gynecology – addresses vaginal and sexual changes as well as discusses menopause hormone therapy and other medications
- Behavioral Health – offers non-medication therapies for hot flashes as well as mood, sleep and weight changes
- Nutrition – addresses changes in metabolism, weight, hair thinning or growth and skin
Wherever you are in your menopause journey, MetroHealth is here to help. Call 216-778-4444 to make an appointment with a MetroHealth gynecologist.
For additional information on menopause, visit the North American Menopause Society (NAMS) website.