Programs and Capabilities
The MetroHealth Simulation Institute (MSI) provides its learners access to various types of simulation that includes standardized patients, task training, hi-fidelity manikins, virtual reality, second life and hybrid simulation in a safe risk-free learning environment.
Our institute offers technical and human simulation programs that extend across multiple disciplines and professions to allow learners to practice clinical and communication skills.
The MSI staff will assist program coordinators and faculty to develop programs and scenarios that support their learning objectives. Technical, Standardized Patient, or hybrid simulation programs can be managed at our facility or "in-situ."
Interested in Collaborating with the MetroHealth Simulation Institute?
In order to help plan your program please fill out the Simulation Institute Program Request Form which will allow us to gather more details about your program.
It may be helpful to look over Bloom’s Taxonomy and Bloom’s Taxonomy verb list prior to completing the program request form and if any additional questions remain, please contact Sarah Greywitt, Simulation Instructional Designer, at [email protected].
Scheduling a mock code? Contact Ann Marie Anderson at [email protected].
High Fidelity Team Simulation Training
- Creating realistic scenarios that allow you to improve your team dynamics and communication skills in high-risk, low-frequency, and life-threatening situations
- Teaching and reinforcing effective communication strategies during everything from standardized Pediatric and Adult Advanced Life Support scenarios to the most complex and unique scenarios
- Facilitating training and assessment for the core competencies of programs
Technical Skills Development Training
- Providing training for basic to advanced procedural skills
- Ensuring repetitive practice of safe procedural skills before students or employees work with actual patients
- Technical skills we provide include:
- Lumbar puncture
- Central venous line placement and maintenance
- Peripheral venous (IV) line placement
- Basic airway care
- Pediatric, neonate, or adult intubation
- Surgical airway
- Chest tube placement and maintenance
- Transcutaneous pacing, defibrillation, and synchronized cardioversion
- Ultrasound training
Standardized Patient (SP) Encounters
- Improving interpersonal communication and physical exam skills of healthcare providers through SP encounters
- Working with SPs to improve health care providers:
- History and physical exam taking skills
- Providing family-centered care
- Interpersonal communication with family members during a full resuscitation
Simulation Faculty Development
- Providing courses to improve faculty’s understanding of and ability in providing simulation curriculum, including:
- Best practices in simulation education
- Choosing the most appropriate simulation modality
- Curriculum development
- Various debriefing courses
- Providing practicum or more in-depth mentoring curriculum/services
In-Situ Systems Evaluation
- Our simulators can be transported to your clinical environment, testing your systems and processes.
- We have provided in-situ training/evaluation in ICUs, ERs, acute care units, new spaces, outpatient clinics, and non-clinical areas.
- Provides step by step walk through of code blue scenarios as well as practice locating and utilizing supplies found in the crash carts.
- Strengthens and improves code blue response times and procedures.
- Provides education and experience with new AED equipment.
- Provide walk through training or real-time scenario evaluations in both inpatient and outpatient facilities.
- On-site or Remote Audio/Video Recording
- TeamSTEPPS Training
- Simulation Instructor Course
- Virtual Reality Training
- New Department Training