Environmental Commitment Statement
From MetroHealth President and CEO, Akram Boutros, MD, FACHE
Human health is greatly affected by the health of the environment. That is why The MetroHealth System is committed to both minimizing negative impacts on the environment and finding opportunities to restore and improve the environment to the benefit of current and future generations.
To ensure that we do that:
- We partner with others to create sustainable neighborhoods that offer affordable housing; access to healthy local foods; smart, accessible transportation; environmentally friendly construction; and access to green space.
- We conserve natural resources by reducing our energy and water use, minimizing waste, increasing recycling and reuse, and taking actions that improve air quality and address climate change.
- We support local, diverse and small business development, buy environmentally safer and healthier products and services, and require those we do business with to lessen their environmental and climate impact.
- We engage, educate and encourage our employees to care for the environment in a number of ways including our Employee Business Resource Group, the Green Team.
- We collaborate with local, regional, state and national leaders in environmental sustainability to achieve common goals related to climate change and regenerative and renewable resource use in an effort to ensure all people remain as healthy as possible regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, education, income, ability, geographic location and other. demographics.
MetroHealth sets these goals under the leadership of the Director for Sustainability and the Sustainability Advisory Council. Together, we establish goals, monitor progress and measure success using guidelines from environmental organizations, which include:
- Practice Greenhealth
- Health Care Without Harm
- Healthcare Anchor Network
- Ethisphere Institute
- Energy Star
- U.S. Green Building Council
- International WELL Building Institute
We share quarterly progress with the MetroHealth Board of Trustees and the public by describing our sustainability efforts, their status and results on our website, metrohealth.org. And we invite everyone to join us in working to preserve the health of our community and all who live here.