General Anesthesiology and Subspecialty Care
We ensure your safety and comfort through general, regional or monitored anesthesia care.
Our anesthesiologists work closely with surgeons and other specialists in The MetroHealth System. Some have additional training and expertise in specialty areas such as cardiothoracic or pediatric anesthesia. Our nurse anesthetists and anesthesiologist assistants have special education and training to ensure your safety and comfort.
Types of Anesthesia We Offer
- General: Patient is put to sleep while a machine helps them breathe.
- Regional and local: The area requiring surgery is numbed.
- Monitored anesthesia care: Patient is slightly sedated (sometimes called twilight anesthesia).
These services are provided in a variety of settings, including the main operating rooms and our outpatient same-day surgery centers. Epidural anesthesia is available to laboring women who request it through our Birthing Center. We provide help and support for people who have a fear of needles, of medical procedures or of medical equipment.
We also provide anesthesia in the operating rooms of the Emergency Department, the Level 1 Adult Trauma Center and the Burn Care Center.
What to Expect
- About a week before the surgery or medical procedure, you will be contacted by our Presurgical Evaluation Clinic.
- The team reviews your medical history.
- A physical exam may be done.
- Personal or family histories of an anesthesia reaction or side effect are discussed.
- Your anesthesia is explained in detail so you know what to expect.
- Current medications are reviewed so you know what to avoid for now.
- Prior to your surgical procedure, your anesthesiologist discusses the plan with you and addresses your concerns.
- During the surgery or procedure, your anesthesiologist monitors and manages your breathing, heart rate and other vital signs.
- Afterwards, your anesthesiology team stays with you as you awaken. They continue to monitor your vital signs as you recover in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit.
The Department of Anesthesiology is committed to ensuring the success of our resident physicians. We are a Level I Trauma Center and tertiary care facility.Learn more about training with us.