The MetroHealth Rehabilitation Institute keeps Cleveland—and the world—moving.
As the only academic rehabilitation facility in northeast Ohio fully integrated into a Level I Trauma Center and Burn Center, a Joint Commission-accredited Comprehensive Stroke Center, and a federally designated Spinal Cord Injury Model System, we are leaders in rehabilitation care, research, and training.
Our unique combination of world-class professionals and innovative technology has made us one of the top rehabilitation facilities for more than 65 years.
- Specialized units: We are the only rehabilitation facility in northern Ohio with specialized units for stroke, brain injury, spinal cord injury, and major trauma rehabilitation. U.S. News & World Report named MetroHealth one of the best in the nation for patients recovering from these injuries.
- Care for complex cases: We are a CARFTM-accredited academic rehabilitation hospital, proving our expertise in treating the most medically complex patients.
- Neuro rehab leader: The MetroHealth Rehabilitation Institute is a Joint Commission-accredited Comprehensive Stroke Center—the highest level of stroke care certification in the United States—as well as one of only 18 Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems in the U.S.
- Innovative research: With over $83 million in extramural funding, the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) is currently ranked #1 in the nation in NIH funding among U.S. medical school PM&R departments. Our research leadership gives our patients access to some of the most innovative treatments to improve and maintain function.
- FES leader: We are the global leader in the development and implementation of functional electrical stimulation technologies for motor restoration for persons with central nervous system paralysis.
- Teaching ground: In addition to our PM&R residency, we have fellowship programs in SCI Medicine, Brain Injury Medicine, and Pain Medicine, as well as a Neurotherapy Residency Training Program for physical therapists.
- Specialized care team: Our physicians are board-certified in rehabilitation—most with additional subspecialty certification in spinal cord injury or brain injury. We also have experienced nurses and physical therapists who specialize in treating stroke, spinal cord injury, brain injury, and complex orthopedic, multi-system trauma.