Ashwini Sehgal, MD
Duncan Neuhauser Professor of Community Health Improvement
Co-Director, Center for Reducing Health Disparities
Director of Research and Evaluation, Institute for H.O.P.E.™
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, The MetroHealth System
Associate Editor, Annals of Internal Medicine
Dr. Ashwini Sehgal is the Duncan Neuhauser Professor of Community Health Improvement and Co-Director of the Center for Reducing Health Disparities at Case Western Reserve University. He is also a nephrologist and Director of Research and Evaluation of the Institute for Health Opportunity, Partnership, and Empowerment at the MetroHealth System. His research interests include climate change, health disparities, community-based research, quality of care, and kidney failure.
- Huml AM, Sullivan C, Figueroa M, Scott K, Sehgal AR. Consistency of direct to consumer genetic testing results among identical twins. American Journal of Medicine. 2020;133:143-146.
- Gunzler D, Sehgal AR, Kauffman K, Davey CH, Dolata J, Figueroa M, Huml A, Pencak J, Sajatovic M. Identify depressive phenotypes by applying the RDOC domains to the PHQ-9. Psychiatry Research. 2020 Feb 19;286:112872.
- Kauffman K, Horvat Davey C, Dolata J, Figueroa M, Gunzler D, Huml A, Pencak J, Sajatovic M, Sehgal AR. Changes in self-reported depressive symptoms among adults in the United States from 2005 to 2016. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. 2020 Feb 13:1078390320906194.
- Freedman DA, Bell BA, Clark J, Ngendahimana D, Borawski E, Trapl E, Pike S, Sehgal AR. Small improvements in an urban food environment resulted in no changes in diet among residents. Journal of Community Health. 2020 Mar 13.
- Davey CH, Webel AR, Sehgal AR, Voss JG, Hsiao CP, Darrah R, Litman P, Perez F, Desai NB. Genetic correlates of fatigue in individuals with end stage renal disease. Western Journal of Nursing Research. 2020;42:1042-1049.
- Sehgal AR. Should asymptomatic and low-risk individuals be tested for SARS-CoV-2? Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2020;35:2810-2812.
- Sehgal AR, Himmelstein DU, Woolhandler S. Feasibility of separate rooms for home isolation and quarantine for COVID-19 in the United States. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2020 July 21.
- Sehgal AR. Race and the false precision of glomerular filtration rate estimates. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2020;173:1008-1009
- Sehgal AR. Lifetime risk of death from firearm injuries, drug overdoses, and motor vehicle accidents in the United States. American Journal of Medicine. 2020;133:1162-1167.
- Kauffman KM, Dolata J, Figueroa M, Gunzler D, Huml A, Pencak J, Sehgal AR, Sajatovic M. Higher dose weekly fluoxetine in hemodialysis patients: a case series report. International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine. 2020 Mar 26:91217420913399.
- Margolius D, Hennekes M, Yao J, Einstadter D, Gunzler D, Chehade N, Sehgal AR, Tarabichi Y, Perzynski AT. On the front (phone) lines: results of a COVID-19 hotline in northeast Ohio. Journal of the American Board of Family Practice. In press.
- Brady JT, Dreimiller A, Miller-Spalding S, Gesang T, Sehgal AR, McHenry CR. Are narcotic pain medications necessary after discharge following thyroidectomy and parathyroidectomy? Surgery. 2021;169:202-208.
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
Editorial Board, Journal of Climate Change and Health
Board of Directors, Policy Matters Ohio
SPECIFIC RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Climate change
- Health disparities
- Public health
- Community based research
- Identifying and overcoming barriers to quality of care
- Access to kidney transplantation
- Nutrition in renal failure
- Adequacy of hemodialysis