Pregnancy and Birthing Education
Having a baby is a joyful event, but it's normal to be anxious, too. There's a lot to know when you're preparing for labor and childbirth. MetroHealth offers a number of classes that prepare you and your family to welcome a new family member.
Many classes are currently being offered virtually instead of in-person due to the pandemic. Please call 216-778-3381 to find out more details.
Childbirth Preparation Classes
Topics covered in class include:
- Labor and birth processes
- Comfort options and pain relief
- Coping skills for labor and birth
- Pushing techniques
- Care for you and your baby after birth
- Choose just one series that works for your schedule. A Tuesday or Wednesday series, for example, but not both. Classes include a 2 session express and 4 session options.
- Register before the sixth month of your pregnancy. If you wait, classes may still be available, but your first choice may not be.
We also have plenty of other specialized classes for new and expecting families, including:
Boot Camp for New Dads
Geared to first time fathers, you will learn how to make it through the first months and come out a confident, on the job father. Led by veteran dads and their babies and experienced facilitators, this is one of our most popular classes for men of all ages. This is a one-time session.
Breastfeeding Education Class
This course is designed to support and educate you and your family about the breastfeeding process and give you the tools you need to successfully begin nursing your newborn.
Open discussion is encouraged. Bring any questions you may have so that we can discuss, educate and support you during this journey. The class is taught by our own Internationally Board-Certified Lactation Consultants.
Breastfeeding Support Group
This group is a safe place for you and your family to gain the support and encouragement you need during your breastfeeding journey.
Join our Mother's Milk Club Virtual Support Group. We currently meet every Wednesday, 2 – 3 p.m. (times and dates may change).
New big brothers and sisters can learn more about how to hold and safely interact with a new baby.
Safe Sleep Heroes
Keeping a new baby safer while they sleep and reducing their risk of SIDS
Watch Our Birthing and Perinatal Center Video
Your Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
Taking care of yourself is especially important for the health of you and your baby.
Our guide will walk you step-by-step through your pregnancy.
Infant CPR – *Please note: these classes are on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This course is offered by the American Heart Association Training Center, and it can help parents, grandparents and family child care providers learn more about how to save the life of an infant in distress.
Family and Friends Infant CPR Class
The MetroHealth System and American Heart Association Training Center offers this free course designed for lay rescuers. This course teaches CPR and relief of choking for infants up to one year of age.
- Trained instructors will teach techniques to save the life of an infant by recognizing unconsciousness, respiratory arrest, cardiac arrest and choking; performing effective CPR; and correctly activating the Emergency Medical Services (911) system.
- Participants practice techniques on manikins.
- This class is recommended for parents, grandparents and family child care providers.
Registration is required.
Please call the American Heart Association Office at 216-778-3503 or email [email protected] to register for this class.
Courses are held from 6 - 7 p.m.
MetroHealth Medical Center
Rammelkamp R172 AE Classroom
This is not a “course completion” class and does not offer a course completion card that may be required for employment.