Pregnancy and Birthing Education
Childbirth Preparation Class
Having a baby is a joyful event, but it's normal to be anxious, too. There's a lot to know when you're preparing for labor and childbirth. MetroHealth offers a number of classes that prepare you and your family to welcome a new family member.
Our five-week Childbirth Preparation Class includes a tour of our birthing center, birthing suites and postpartum unit. Other topics covered in the class include:
- Labor and birth processes
- Comfort options and pain relief
- Coping skills for labor and birth
- Pushing techniques
- Care for you and your baby after birth
- Please bring a blanket and pillow to class for the breathing and relaxation practice sessions.
- Choose just one series that works for your schedule.
- Register before your sixth month of pregnancy. If you wait until the last minute, classes will still be available, but your first choice may be full and unavailable.
- If you are interested in classes at Main Campus, select a Monday or Wednesday series, not both.
Questions? Call 216-778-3381 or email [email protected].
Watch Our Birthing and Perinatal Center Video
Other Classes to Help You Prepare
MetroHealth wants you to learn even more about preparing and caring for your new baby. For example, if you have questions about installing or using a car seat, we can direct you to resources that can help, including the Safe Kids website.
We also have plenty of other specialized classes for new and expecting families, including:
- Boot Camp for New Dads: Offering proven steps to help new dads care for and bond with a new baby.
- Breastfeeding: This class is part of our Childbirth Preparation Class program, but it can also be taken on its own in a single-session course.
- Your Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy: Taking care of yourself is especially important for the health of you and
your baby. This guide will walk you step-by-step through your pregnancy.
- Safe Sleep Heroes: Keeping a new baby safer while they sleep and reducing their risk of SIDS
- Sibling Class: New big brothers and sisters can learn more about how to hold and safely interact with a new baby.
- Infant CPR: This course is offered by the American Heart Association Training Center, and it can help parents, grandparents and family child care providers learn more about how to save the life of an infant in distress.
Family and Friends Infant CPR Class
The MetroHealth System and American Heart Association Training Center offers this free course designed for lay rescuers. This course teaches CPR and relief of choking for infants up to one year of age.
- Trained instructors will teach techniques to save the life of an infant by recognizing unconsciousness, respiratory arrest, cardiac arrest and choking; performing effective CPR; and correctly activating the Emergency Medical Services (911) system.
- Participants practice techniques on manikins.
- This class is recommended for parents, grandparents and family child care providers.
Registration is required.
Please call the American Heart Association Office at 216-778-3503 or email [email protected] to register for this class.
Courses are held from 6 - 7 p.m.
MetroHealth Medical Center
Rammelkamp R172 AE Classroom
This is not a “course completion” class and does not offer a course completion card that may be required for employment.