Cancer Research Membership


The initial review of individuals as members of the research center is the responsibility of the codirectors of the MetroHealth Center for Cancer Research (MCCR). The codirectors also review the current MCCR membership on an annual basis to ensure compliance with the MCCR criteria requirements. Final approval for membership resides with the VP of Research and Sponsored Programs and coincides with the annual MCCR progress report.

Membership Criteria

Membership in MCCR is available to scientists and clinicians who have an interest in cancer research and cancer care, and must have an active faculty appointment at The MetroHealth System/Case Western Reserve University (or other affiliated hospital); or be eligible for Principal Investigator status on research proposals (i.e., Research Scientist, Fellow or higher).


To obtain Core membership status in the MCCR, an investigator must meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • Be an investigator on the faculty track at The MetroHealth System, who is actively conducting basic, translational, clinical, or population-based cancer research.
  • Be a Principal Investigator (PI), multi-PI, or Project Leader of an actively funded NIH or other peer-reviewed, cancer-focused research award or career development award.
  • Be a PI of investigator-initiated cancer clinical trial (local or national)
  • Be an “other significant contributor” to cancer research: 1) a key team member of a cancer-focused team project; 2) a key author in high-impact, cancer-focused manuscripts; or 3) a director or co-director in cancer research-based shared resource services and/or cancer research education program.
  • Be a senior leader in cancer-focused program.


  • Be an investigator who contributes to the overall mission and vision of MCCR such as providing patient care and medical education service, but do not satisfy the criteria for Core Members.
  • Be an investigator who has conducted research in other scientific areas and is actively seeking to develop or significantly contribute to cancer-focused research.
  • Students, postdocs, residents, and fellows who perform cancer-focused research, and are affiliated with the MetroHealth System (faculty appointment is not required).

NOTE: With the Core Member category, a center should strive to have 70% of its members with peer-reviewed funding. The remaining 30% would be clinicians, junior faculty with career development awards, or newly recruited to MCCR/the MetroHealth System.


  • Access to the MCCR-managed Shared Resources at approved internal services rates (Core members and National Institutes of Health-funded investigators have the priority)
  • CAR-T cell therapy/Vector and cellular production Resource
  • Organoid Shared Resource
  • Flow Cytometry Core
  • Confocal/image core
  • Eligibility to apply for targeted funding, developmental funds, and interim research support as available by MCCR.
  • Have multiple opportunities to interact within each MCCR research program through events such as program meetings, seminars, and multiple-PI research projects.
  • Eligibility to participate in MCCR-sponsored events and retreats.
  • Inclusion in MCCR's communications.
  • Assistance with grants management, proposal review, creation and updates of biosketches, and proof-reading of manuscripts (Core members have the priority).
  • Actively participate in research programs, meetings, seminars, community outreach, and engagement activities sponsored by MCCR.
Explore Cancer Research Job Opportunities
Explore Cancer Research Job Opportunities

Join Our Team