Transgender Health Services
The Pride Network follows the standards of care established by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH). We provide comprehensive medical care for gender-nonconforming and gender-questioning people. This includes both medical consultation and medical intervention.
To schedule an appointment, call 216-957-4905. To contact the nurse line, call 216-957-4868.
Many of our patients are nervous about making that first transgender care appointment, and often don't know what to expect. Think of a first appointment as a "getting to know you" visit. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Please bring your health information from previous providers. If you're looking to start gender affirmation therapy with hormones, bring health information including any letters of recommendation from counselors or therapists.
- We use an informed consent model for adult hormonal care and for adolescents older than 16 with guardian consent. Mental health supports are strongly encouraged, but a mental health letter of recommendation is not required for starting hormonal care.
- Hormones are generally not prescribed on the first visit.
- Be prepared to discuss your medical history and current or past medications. We want to talk about your family, parental and community support, and a timeline for treatment.
A few things need to happen before any kind of treatment begins, including care with hormones. These things don't have to happen at the first appointment. We will wait until you're ready.
- blood drawn and tested to determine your overall health
- a physical exam
- review informed consent with you
- answer outstanding questions you have about the effects of hormones on your care
We understand that anxiety is real and often impacts the pursuit of care. The Pride Clinic is an affirming environment. We work with you as your partner in health.