COVID-19: Vaccinations, testing and general information. Learn more

Advance Directives

Fill Out Your Forms

Bring a copy of your advance directives with you the day of your procedure so your most current information and wishes are on file. You do not need a lawyer to fill these out. For more information and if you need forms, contact the Social Work Office at 216-778-2371, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., and ask for the manager.

Choose Your Care

Fill out advance directives so your wishes are known, and your loved ones are sure of what you want. One of the most important decisions you can make about your care is to fill out advance directives in case you can no longer speak for yourself.

Advance directives are documents that let others know your wishes about the type of care you want. They will only be used if you become unconscious or too ill to communicate yourself.

Different states have different laws about advance directives. Check with your Admissions Department or nurse if you have any questions.

Directives can include:

Living Will

This set of instructions explains the type of life-prolonging medical care you wish to accept or refuse. It can include your wishes about the use of resuscitation (CPR) if your heart stops, a ventilator if you stop breathing, or feeding tubes or IVs if you cannot eat or drink.

Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care

This is a legal document that names your health care proxy — someone who is 18 years or older and can participate in medical decisions for you if you’re unable to do so. An official health care proxy can represent your wishes on emergency care, but also on other medical issues like potential treatment options, blood transfusions, kidney dialysis, etc. Choose someone you trust, discuss your medical wishes with them, and make sure the person agrees to represent you in this role.

Declaration for Mental Health Treatment

You may appoint a proxy 18 years or older to participate in treatment decisions for you if you lose the ability to make mental health treatment decisions. The instructions will be
followed only when your designated physician or psychiatrist and one other mental health treatment provider who has examined you determine that you do not have the capacity to consent to mental health treatment decisions. At least one of the two people who make this determination shall not currently be involved in your treatment at the time of the determination.