Preparing for a Phone Visit
A phone visit is an easy way for you to virtually connect with your provider without going to your provider’s office. If you've scheduled a phone appointment, the tips below will help you know what to expect and help you get ready.
How to Schedule a Phone Visit
What to Expect During a Phone Visit
The length of your phone visit will vary depending on the reason for the appointment. During the call, your provider will have your electronic medical record and medical history available. This improves the safety and quality of your care.
Here are a couple of things to know:
- You may be called up to 15 minutes before or after your appointment time. For example, if your appointment is scheduled for 2 p.m., a provider could call between 1:45 p.m. and 2:15 p.m.
- The caller ID may or may not say MetroHealth. If you happen to miss the first call, the provider will call again.
Before Your Phone Visit
Getting ready for a phone visit is similar to preparing for an in-person visit.
Tell us about you. Complete the pre-visit information. Plan to have this done at least 15 minutes before your appointment (you can do it up to 3 days in advance). Log in to MyChart and look for appointment details.
Get Yourself Ready
- Write down your questions and concerns prior to your appointment
- Prepare a list of your medications
- Have your blood glucose or blood pressure readings handy (if you track them)
- Choose a private, quiet place for the phone call.
Get Your Smartphone Ready
- Make sure your phone is charged, your ring volume is on, and you are connected to your cellular network or Wi-Fi (3 bars). Read our Connectivity Checklist.
- If your phone has Unknown Caller or Spam Blocking Services on, you must disable (turn off ) each feature or application to allow phone calls from MetroHealth or unknown phone numbers.
- Click here for instructions to disable call blocking/silencing for iOS (Apple phone) and Android (Google phone)
- We recommend you add the MetroHealth main number to your contacts: (216) 778-8800.
- Help your phone receive appointment text messages by texting “MYCHART” to 622622 (message and data rates may apply).
During Your Phone Visit
Your provider may call up to 15 minutes before or after the visit time. If it is 15 minutes past your scheduled visit time and your provider has not joined, please call (216) 778-8801 for help.
Disconnected during your phone visit? Your provider will call you back.
If 15 minutes have passed after your scheduled visit time and your provider has not joined, please call (216) 778-8801 for help.
With your (the patient’s) permission, friends and family can join the visit.* A patient proxy can join too.
Need an interpreter? An interpreter will join your visit. If not present, ask your provider.
*Certain visits (for example, behavioral health, infectious disease, or supportive substance use appointments) may require written patient consent before friends or family can join a phone visit.