The Breastfeeding Class is part of the overall Childbirth Preparation course, but it can also be taken alone as a single-session course. Learn the basics of breastfeeding preparation and techniques and newborn nutrition from the experienced MetroHealth nursing team. Call 216-778-3337 to speak to a lactation/breastfeeding specialist.
Breastfeeding event at the Zoo!
August is Breastfeeding Awareness Month! Join MetroHealth and the Cuyahoga County WIC Program on Monday, August 4, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Cleveland MetroParks Zoo for a day filled with education and fun! Click here for event details.
Reasons to Breastfeed
Breastfeeding benefits for Baby:
- Breastmilk is far healthier for baby’s tummy and protects your baby from becoming overweight (by 24%). Breastmilk gives your baby lifelong protection from diabetes by up to 40%!
- Breastmilk decreases your baby’s risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) by 36%!
- Breastmilk is brain power! Children who were breastfed have been shown to be smarter and perform better in the classroom!
- Breastmilk reduces cancer risk! Breastfeeding protects baby from childhood cancers.
- Babies who are breastfed for at least 6 months are 40% less likely to develop asthma and have 7 times fewer allergies! Breastmilk dramatically reduces infection rates in babies! Respiratory infections are reduced by up to 74% and ear infections by up to 50%.
Breastfeeding benefits for Mom:
- When you produce breastmilk for your baby, you can burn up to 500 calories per day, equal to 4 pounds worth of calories per month! Breastfeeding moms are more likely to maintain a healthy weight throughout their life.
- Breastfeeding is heart healthy! Breastfeeding is protective from high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes!
- If you breastfeed your baby, you can save up to $1,500 per year! WIC also supports breastfeeding moms by giving them bigger food packages and longer program enrollment.
- Breastfeeding protects moms from breast cancer (by up to 28%) and ovarian cancer (by 21%)!
2014 Course Schedule
Classes are held on Thursday from 6 - 8:30 p.m.
- July 24
- August 28
- October 9
- November 13
- December 18
You can now register online! Click here to request a seat in this class or call 216-778-3381.
Classes meet at:
MetroHealth Medical Center
Rammelkamp Research Building Room #R170
2500 MetroHealth Drive
Cleveland, OH 44109
MetroHealth Medical Center Main Campus Map (PDF)