|Location of the Procedure
MetroHealth Medical Center
2500 MetroHealth Drive
Cleveland, Ohio 44109
Visitor Entrance and Parking Map. From Southpoint Drive: Park in South Garage. Take the elevator up to the bridge level. Walk through the Pedestrian Bridge. The Endoscopy Suite is located on the right.
A liver biopsy is a small sample of tissue taken from your liver. This test is important in helping your doctor plan your care.
|How to Prepare for the Liver Biopsy
- Your doctor will ask you to have blood drawn prior to this test. It is important that you have this done.
- Your doctor will tell you about any change in your medications for the day of the test, do not stop your medication unless told to do so by your doctor or nurse.
- If you take aspirin or aspirin products, arthritis medication or over-the-counter Motrin, Nuprin, Advil, etc., PLEASE tell your doctor. You need to stop these medicines 7 DAYS before this test. This test will not be done if you have taken any of these medicines within in the week prior to your test.
- You must eat a light breakfast at 6:00 a.m. the morning of your test, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor. You should eat two slices of plain or buttered toast and drink one 8-ounce cup of any liquid (coffee, tea, juice, milk.)
|What to Expect During the Liver Biopsy
- The nurse will take you into the room and briefly review your health history, take your blood pressure, pulse and temperature. You will change into a patient gown.
- During the test you will lay flat on your back with your right arm above your head.
- The area where the biopsy is to be taken will be cleansed and numbed with medication.
- The doctor will then perform the biopsy and a bandage will be applied.
|What to Expect After the Liver Biopsy
- You will need to stay in our recovery area for four hours. A nurse will check the biopsy site and take your vital signs often. You might want to bring something to read.
- You MUST have a responsible adult to accompany you or drive you home because of the medication given. Your driving is restricted for 24 hours after the procedure.
- Your biopsy results will be ready in a few days and your doctor will contact you.
- After the test, you will not be able to do any heavy lifting or straining for the next two days.
Test Date: _________ Test Time: _________
Please call 216-778-5381 Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. for scheduling questions or questions regarding the procedure or preparation.
After hours, please contact The MetroHealth line at 216-778-7878. The MetroHealth Line is open 24 hours a day including weekends and holidays.
WE MAKE EVERY ATTEMPT TO MAINTAIN OUR SCHEDULE; HOWEVER, IT IS NOT ALWAYS POSSIBLE. SOME PROCEDURES MAY TAKE LONGER THAN OTHERS AND OUR CASES ARE SCHEDULED TO FOLLOW ONE ANOTHER. WE APOLOGIZE FOR ANY DELAYS.