Obstetrics and Gynecology
MetroHealth’s Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine is the largest, most diverse practice to specialize in caring for high-risk pregnancies in the region. It has been the premiere location for treatment for many years and is recognized nationally for its excellence in conducting research and training the next generation of experts.
What Causes a High-Risk Pregnancy?
MetroHealth has teams of specialists ready to take care of mothers and babies who may need special attention during the pregnancy and beyond. If you are anticipating that a planned pregnancy may be complicated, we will see you before you are pregnant to give you information on what to expect and lessen the chance of problems. If you find that you are at high risk during the pregnancy, we will continue to provide you with our expert care.
High-Risk Pregnancy Factors
- Multiple births
- Mother or unborn baby has a medical condition
- Preexisting conditions prior to pregnancy, such as diabetes or lupus
- History of giving birth prematurely
- Vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC)
- Problems developing suddenly during pregnancy
- Water breaking early
- Preterm labor
- Baby not developing as expected: growth restriction, birth defect, fetal infection, Rh sensitization
Although your medical condition may seem scary and new to you, our physicians have years of experience helping patients and families understand high-risk pregnancy and how to maximize the chance of a healthy baby. MetroHealth obstetricians can offer consults, second opinions, and shared care with your current provider, in addition to serving as your obstetric provider.