The Chester Summer Scholars Program
About Edward M. Chester, MD
A remarkable teacher, scholar, and physician, the late Dr. Edward Chester was known nationally as an innovator in the field of medical education. He was appointed director of the Ambulatory Medicine Teaching Clinic at MetroHealth Medical Center, then known as City Hospital, in 1960 by Dr. Charles H. Rammelkamp, Jr., director of the Department of Medicine. It was Dr. Rammelkamp who conceived the idea of the ambulatory teaching clinic and asked Dr. Chester to develop and coordinate the program. Dr. Chester served as the clinic's director until his retirement in 1980.
Dr. Chester's association with MetroHealth began in 1936 as an intern at City Hospital. Since 1943 he held an appointment at the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and was appointed Emeritus Professor of Medicine upon his retirement.
His compassion for patients and students is well known by all who have been taught by, worked with, or known Dr. Chester, which includes the majority of physicians now practicing in Cleveland, as well as colleagues from around the country.
Dr. Chester's humble attitude about his accomplishments belies the great impact his vision and dedication to medical education has had on the ambulatory teaching environment, which is of such great importance in the modern practice of medicine. He has rightfully earned the respect of the entire medical community.
The Chester Summer Scholars Program was established in 1981 by The MetroHealth Foundation in honor of Dr. Chester.